We pursue a lot of different goals in our lives: We seek security, sensual and intellectual pleasure, companionship, success, romantic relationships and so forth. When we reach these goals, they give us fleeting periods of happiness. All the various goals we pursue are attempts to gain lasting satisfaction.
But sooner or later we come to the conclusion that none of these goals can bring us what we are ultimately looking for. Every upside has a downside, every gain comes with a loss. No matter how hard we try, we cannot find lasting satisfaction.
Vedanta provides a radical view on this pivotal problem: It claims that all frustrations in life are symptoms of a wrong understanding of oneʼs own nature. We take ourselves to be separate and limited beings. Counterintuitively, Vedanta asserts with breathtaking boldness that our true nature is completeness and limitlessness.
Vedanta is a time tested means of knowledge to correct our ignorance about our self. When its teachings are unfolded, the receptive listener is able to realize that he already is what he was looking for in all his pursuits: completeness and limitlessness itself.
About the study group
We meet on a regular basis and read the Bhagavad Gita Home Study Course together. The course is a detailed verse-by-verse commentary of the Bhagavad Gita resulting from transcripts of the lectures given by Swami Dayananda Saraswati.
Join us on Meetup to get in contact with other students of Advaita Vedanta.
The following texts will get you started studying Advaita Vedanta:
- Vedanta – The Big Picture by Swami Paramarthananda
- Introduction to the Bhagavad Gita by Swami Dayananda Saraswati
- The four-fold qualifications of students of Vedanta from Tattvabodha by Adi Shankara with commentary by Swami Dayananda Saraswati
- Arsha Vidya
- Dayananda Ashram, Rishikesh
- Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, Saylorsburg, US
- AVG Satsangs
- Vedanta Vidyarthi Sangha (Swami Paramarthananda Saraswati)
- Arsha Avinash Foundation
- Arsha Vidya UK (Swamini Atmaprakashananda Saraswati)
- Discover Vedanta (Neema Majmudar and Surya Tahora)
- Shining World (James Swartz)
- Advaita.org.uk (Dennis Waite)
- Advaita Vision (Dennis Waite)